Shakira has pledged to help rebuild schools damaged by the 7.4-magnitude earthquake that struck Colombia on August 10, announcing an initial $1.25 million commitment during a visit to the city of Quibdó on Monday.
The funding includes $500,000 from Shakira and Live Nation, $500,000 from the FIFA Global Citizen Education Fund, and $250,000 from the Development Bank of Latin America and the Caribbean (CAF). Shakira’s Fundación Pies Descalzos will lead the rebuilding effort in coordination with local authorities and educational communities.
Shakira also said she would personally focus on rebuilding the damaged Technological University of Chocó. “Every day that children don’t go to school is a day we put their future on hold, and we cannot allow that,” she told reporters during her visit, according to EFE. The singer called for additional support from governments, foundations, and the private sector, warning that recovery efforts will need to continue after attention surrounding the immediate emergency subsides.
Philanthropist Howard G. Buffett, who accompanied Shakira in Quibdó, also committed support through his foundation to rebuild 10 additional schools in Chocó and surrounding rural areas.
Nearly 200 schools in Chocó have reported damage following the August 10 earthquake. The disaster has so far left 287 people dead, 4,147 injured, and 194 missing across the country, according to the latest figures from Colombia’s National Unit for Disaster Risk Management (UNGRD).
Shakira first responded to the earthquake on August 10, writing on X that her “heart is with everyone who felt this earthquake today and with the families going through moments of anguish.”
Colombia querida, mi corazón está con todos los que hoy sintieron este terremoto y con las familias que están pasando momentos de angustia.
En momentos así, los colombianos sabemos unirnos y sostenernos unos a otros. Toda mi fuerza y mi amor para mi tierra. Abracémonos fuerte y…
— Shakira (@shakira) August 10, 2026